(Click to Expand)

Search for People
Lake and Reynolds Genealogy
We welcome your comments.

Home Page
"Our Ancestors and Their Descendants"

presented by:
Susan and Barry Reynolds

Contact Us

Famous People

Family Photographs
Share Print


History of Craigvale and Stroud

School History

Victoria (Stroud)

The Victoria School opened in 1838 on the S/E corner of the village's intersection. The first teacher was Wm. Booth. This was replaced by a second log schoolhouse which in turn was replaced by a frame structure, at a cost of $300.00, according to a report in 1860. In 1875 a second frame classroom was added to make it the only two room school for the next seventy three years.

Craigvale - School Section No. 11

In 1863 the municipal council of the Township of Innisfil formed a part of the township into School Section No. ll and designated its boundaries and limits. The trustees of this new section were John Gordon, Robert Leonard and Thomas Orchard.

The first, Craigvale Public School, No 11 Innisfil, was built in 1864 on the N-E corner of Lot 20, Conc. 9, on land donated by Henry McConkey. On January 16, 1864, John Leonard was given the contract to build a frame schoolhouse, 30 feet long by 24 feet wide, with twenty eight desks inside, and a teacher's platform; walls and ceiling to be plastered about a four foot wainscoting, and all to be finished by July 1, for the sum of $380.00. Miss Christena McKay, with a third class certificate, was the first teacher, at a salary of $160. per annum. Non residentsattending the school were charged 25 cents a month, payable in advance.

The first Minute Book of the sections, shows that expenses in 1866 were: Thomas Sproule delivered 10 cords of wood to the school at $1.75 a cord; In 1867 he received $1.50 a cord. (all wood to be good, sound, dry hardwood, either beech or maple); A broom, 25c; box of chalk 15c; scrubbing school-room 50c; the teacher was paid 40c for putting 5 cords of wood in the shed; teacher's desk, $3.00; Beatty Bros. were paid $24.00 in 1878 for a large bell.

In 1869, the teacher, Miss Frances A Taylor, agreed to light and tend the fires, swept and cleaned for the sum of $5, which work was performed by each succeeding teacher until the turn of the century.

In 1873, the school grounds were enlarged by buying a one quarter acre of land from Henry McConkey. In 1874, Alfred Houghton was paid $71 for digging and stoning a well.

In 1927, since this school was deemed too small and the inspector demanded windows on one side only, it was torn down, being replace by a handsome brick building costing approximately $6,000 with George Martin as contractor. The grounds were enlarged by the purchase of a half acre from George Neilly, also in 1927. Shrubs and landscaping have converted the building into a picturesque sight on the south side of the 10th line.

Innisfil (Knock) School - School Section No. 15

Mr James Reynolds was to hold office for two years from the second Wednesday in January, 1871 as trustee for the S.S. 15, Innisfil (Knock) school.

At the first annual school meeting held on January 11, 1871, at the house of William T. Hunter at 10 o'clock in the forenoon, William R. Hunter was elected to the office of trustee for three years in place of David Hunter (husband of Elizabeth Maneer), who resigned as he was to be bondsman to the sum of $400. for his brother-in-law, Stephen Maneer, whose tender for the sum of $230.00 was accepted by the trustees at their meeting held at 12 o'clock following the annual meeting of Jan 11. He was to have the school ready to be opened by March 15, 1871.

The use of whiskey at 'bees' and 'raisings' was the custom, but the Hunters steadfastly refused to have it. At that time there were twenty taverns in the township.

In April, 1873 the trustees purchased the second quarter acre of land from William T Hunter for the sum of twenty five dollars, and had Stephen Maneer fence the half acre of playground with picket fence on the two sides next to the Side roadand 9th Line and cclose boardfence in the two sides next to William Hunter's farm.

Navigation Aid: History of Craigvale and Stroud
This section contains material collected by Jeanne Groce about the history of Stroud and Craigvale. It contains "information collected from libraries, books, newspapers, the Centennial History of Innisfil, Historical Revue, word of mouth, and anywhere else I could find it." Reference to the source of the material is given where possible.

Many thanks to all who have contributed names, dates, photographs and stories. Corrections are always welcome.
Our research is ongoing and the validity of the information presented should be judged by the quality of our sources.

Our study includes our ancestors and their descendants (our cousins) and our cousins' spouses and their parents. The parents of our cousins' spouses will show as "A descendant is related to Susan or Barry" and their other children will not be included unless they are connected to our family.

Last Updated
June 4, 2023

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding (TNG) © 14.0.2 written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2023 and modified by Barry Reynolds. Information is stored in MYSQL database tables and dynamically displayed.

Genealogy Database Maintained and Relationships Calculated by Legacy 9.0
Hosted by SimplyHosting